Love Lesson


I feel you move, I watch you breathe
The tangible helps me believe
You cannot prove, what you don't feel
You cannot say this is not real

So much to do, so much to say
'Cause I can't let you get away
Unwittingly, I succumb
The power of one less in love

You could lie, you could cheat
My foolish heart is my defeat
I think I see, but I am blind
Lessons learned do not remind

You cannot do, you cannot say
You cannot make me go away
Impossible to overcome
The power of one less in love

I keep myself within your grip
I bought my ticket for this trip
The knowing does not help me say
I am through with the charade

Impossible to overcome
The power of one less in love

11 comments:

  1. "One less in love" - what a powerful image that creates. Ironically, that one word, less, carries so much weight. Well done. Visiting from WOE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you. this is actually a song I wrote years ago in the midst of such a situation, but i thought of it as soon as i read the prompt. the truth of it can be painful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's interesting that it was a song because my comment was going to be that in my mind I heard it as one, particularly because of the repeating refrain that I too loved of The power of one less in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard it as a song, too! "One less in love" is so telling. In a perfect world, the person less in love would change back and forth over the course of a relationship, but when there is a true imbalance, it's just heartbreaking.
    ~Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i should say that it was originally inspired by a line in a poem by Stephen Dunn called Lovers. The last phrase is:

      "the terrible power of the one / less in love"

      it just started my wheels turning about my own situation and the verses almost wrote themselves

      Delete
  5. Very much a heart aching line, "one less in love". Can be interpreted several ways.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant lyrics. It needs music. And a recording label. :) So nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The power of one less in love -- I agree, that's great. There really is a terrible power there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, put it to music and get it on iTunes asap! This is haunting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This hits a bit close to home at the moment. :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that these are song lyrics. There was definitely a metered ballady quality about them.

    ReplyDelete